Become a Peer Health Educator
Peer Health Educators (PHEs) are a diverse group of Mason students who are committed to creating a healthy campus culture. PHEs engage with classmates through interactive presentations that focus on topics integral to maintaining a healthy college lifestyle.
APPLICATION PERIOD HAS CLOSED.
Please contact Angela Johnson (email@example.com) with any questions!
The PHEs are dedicated to utilizing dynamic presentations to provide education and community support with sensitivity to race, gender, sexual orientation, culture, religion, and individual capabilities.
PHEs focus on the following topics:
- Sexual Health
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Healthy Relationships
PHEs must commit to:
- Participating in a two-day comprehensive training, held at the beginning of the Fall semester
- Weekly 1-hour meetings held in SUB 1
- Observing 3 presentations before becoming a facilitator
- Facilitating 3 presentations per semester
- Volunteering at WAVES events for at least 15 hours per semester
- Remaining active for the duration of the 2016-2017 academic year
Although we encourage involvement in other activities at Mason and in the community, applicant must be able to balance other activities with the PHE commitment.
Qualities of a PHE
A strong PHE applicant should possess the following qualities:
- Strong interest and enthusiasm in promoting healthy behaviors among fellow students
- Open mind to cultures, practices, and sexual orientations different from one’s own
- Sensitivity to controversial and personal topics, and have a willingness to talk candidly about them
- Ability to articulate the facts about health-enhancing behaviors and dispel myths and misperceptions
- Dedication to health education, and the PHE program
- Demonstrate a sincere concern for others, their well-being and quality of life
- Ability to speak publicly in a positive, engaging, interactive, and nonjudgmental manner
- Ability to facilitate group discussions and include all members of the audience
- Ability to function in a group, both as a leader and as a supportive team member